Keto foods have become popular amongst the world’s population. The health and wellness seekers have pushed them to the top of the list of options for healthy eating.
Well, these foods consists of low carbs and high protein. They are also known to have a positive impact on weight loss, diabetes, and epilepsy.
A good selection of items consumed on the keto diet can help prevent and improve certain cancers. They also aid is helping with Alzheimer’s disease, along with some other diseases.
That’s pretty awesome!
Listed below are some of the best keto foods that can be consumed while on a keto diet:
- Seafood: There are a lot of available seafood options. Clams, squid, and oysters are carb-free and can have very low carb content. Fish and shellfish are sources of essential vitamins, minerals, and omega-3s.
- Low carb vegetables: Vegetables are nutritious. You can cook them in many different ways. The total carbs in non-starchy veggies range from 1gram to 8grams per cup. Vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, and zucchini can replace high carb vegetables. Potatoes, beetroots, and yams are high on that list.
- Cheese: Unlike popular belief, along with being great tasting, cheese is healthy too! It has a high protein and calcium content, contains vital fatty acids and has low carbs.
- Avocados: Avocados are extremely beneficial, especially when on a keto diet. They contain a number of nutrients like potassium and are high in fiber. They also have a very low carb content of only 2 grams per serving.
- Meat and poultry: Meat and poultry contain almost no carbs and are very high in protein. Ideal food for those on a keto diet.
- Eggs: Not only are they versatile, but eggs are also healthy. They contain on 1gram of carbs and are rich in protein. They consist of many nutrients and keep you full for hours.
- Butter and cream: Butter and cream contain the ideal fats that should be a part of a keto diet. They are almost carb free and contain only traces on carbs. They also have no major side effect if consumed in moderation.
- Berries: Most fruits are high in carbs and should be avoided while on a keto diet. But, berries are low in carbs and high in fiber. Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries are good to go. They all contain an average of 5 to 12 grams of carbs per serving of 3.5 ounces.
- Unsweetened tea and coffee: Unsweetened tea or coffee contain zero carbs. These drinks also help enhance mental and physical performance. They also improve your metabolic rate.
- Dark chocolate and cocoa powder: To satisfy your sweet cravings consume dark chocolate. Yes, you can eat this while on the keto diet. It contains the least amount of carbs compared to milk chocolates and candies. Dark chocolate is also known to contain antioxidants. These help reduce the risk of heart disease when consumed in a limited manner.
To reap the best benefits of a keto diet, it is important to consume only advised keto foods. Just the ones that remain within the permitted carb intake limit, on a regular basis.
This will lead to weight loss and controlled blood sugar levels. Not to mention the benefit of a healthier body. If you are curious about whether or not you are on the right track with your keto diet, you can track your ketosis using some simple keto urine strips. These will let you know whether or not you are in fact, in ketosis. Happy keto eating!
Elena Daisley is a licensed Clinical Laboratory Scientist (MT, ASCP certified) with over 10 years of experience in the medical field. She holds bachelor’s degrees in both Biology and Laboratory Science from the University of Central Florida. Elena enjoys helping others on their journey to healthier living.