What foods make a healthy alkaline breakfast? When you think of a typical breakfast meal, ingredients such as eggs, bacon, sausages, & milk come to mind. And while these might be what you are used to, they won’t work at all for someone seeking to eat an alkaline breakfast. Wondering why? Well, they are obviously highly acidic, which is what you are trying to avoid on a typical alkaline diet.
Alkaline Breakfast- Where Do You Start?
Unlike other meals of the day, it is quite hard to pick out breakfast items from any alkaline-acid food list. But with guidance, preparing sumptuous alkaline breakfast meals is really easy.
That said, this post is all about showcasing sample alkaline breakfast recipe ideas. For more convenience, we have split the 10 alkaline breakfast recipes into 3 categories: alkaline breakfast drinks, sliced fruit, and morning meals. Simple and Sweet! If you are interested in more alkaline recipe ideas, check out our free 7-day alkaline meal plan here.
Alkaline Breakfast Drinks
1. Herbal Tea
Herbal teas have been proven useful in helping fight against diseases and infections. They are particularly effective in protecting against the risk of heart disease & oxidative stress.
- 1 cup of water
- A tablespoonful of organic honey
- 1 tbsp of lime juice
- Ground cumin seeds
- Bring the water to a boil
- Add all the ingredients and cook until all the flavors are infused. (2 minutes should be enough)
- Serve and enjoy!
2. Simple Alkaline Breakfast “Coffee”
Although this isn’t really “coffee” per se, it’s a wonderful alkaline substitute for it! This dandelion root drink is very aromatic and delicious. Make it warm and frothy and you have a great substitute for your morning coffee!
2 tbsp Roasted Dandelion Root (or two tea bags)
Maple Syrup or agave to taste
1/3 cup almond milk or walnut milk
Brew a pot of Distilled Water
Pour water over loose leaf tea. Let your “coffee” steep 2-5min
Top your delicious ” coffee” with frothed nut milk of choice. Use almond milk or walnut milk
add your natural sweetener to taste
3. Alkaline Breakfast Power Smoothie
This green smoothie will supply your body and brain with the energy needed for a high-octane start. Drinking alkaline smoothies is a great way to keep your body pH balanced and healthy!
- 2 ounces water
- An avocado
- A cucumber
- 2 tomatoes
- Some herbs such as basil or parsley
- A few spinach leaves, lettuce, or kale
- 1 Juiced lime
- Ginger or cumin
- Wash all the ingredients
- Chop the avocado, cucumber, and tomatoes into small pieces.
- Blend the avocado into a smooth paste.
- Add all the other ingredients and continue blending until evenly mixed.
- Serve and enjoy!
For a change, you can switch to a cocoa smoothie. Just make sure that it is made with raw cocoa.
To make it, you will just need to blend 2 tablespoonfuls of cocoa and a dash of cinnamon. You could also blend in an alkaline fruit of your liking.
4. Home-made Almond Milk
- 1 cup almonds
- 3 cups of water
- Soak the almonds in water.
- Transfer them to an airtight container, where you will refrigerate them overnight.
- Drain the water and place them in a blender.
- Add the 3 cups of water and blend until smooth.
- Use a strainer to extract your almond milk. Enjoy!
Alkaline Sliced Fruits
Collectively, alkaline fruits are a rich source of vitamins, minerals, & fiber. For this reason, they are perfect for a healthful, filling breakfast. Here are 2 great examples of fruits that you can enjoy for breakfast:
5. Sliced Watermelon
Watermelons yield only about 46 calories per cup. Their high water content will keep you well hydrated whilst supplying a prefect dose of both Vitamin A & C.
- A sharp knife
- Cutting board
- Wash the watermelon
- Hold it firmly on a cutting board.
- With a sharp knife, slice off the edges. The cut should be deep enough, at least to reveal the red part of the watermelon.
- Stand the watermelon on one of the edges and cut it in half.
- Lay each piece on its side and cut lengthwise (or even quarters). The goal is come up with manageable slices. Enjoy!
6. Sliced Grapefruit
Grapefruits are one of the most healthy & delicious citrus fruits you can eat for breakfast. They are especially prized for their antioxidant & disease-fighting properties.
- 2 large grapefruits
- A sharp knife
- Wash the grapefruits
- Cut each grapefruit into 4 wedges
- Remove the peel from each wedge and enjoy!
Alkaline Breakfast Heavy to Medium Morning Meals
7. Spelt Flour Pancakes
For those who love pancakes, spelt is the ideal substitute for processed white flour. And yes, the pancakes will remain tasteful as usual. Here is the recipe:
- 1/2 cup of spelt flour
- Grounded cinnamon (1/2 tbsp)
- 1/3 cup of water
- A whisked egg
- ½ cup of coconut milk
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Pour in the flour inside a mixing bowl. Add in the eggs and coconut milk and whisk thoroughly.
- Add in the water while whisking to attain a smooth pancake mixture.
- Place a pan on low heat and spread the olive oil inside.
- Add in the mixture after 1 minute and spread evenly to a circular shape. Cook each side for about 2 minutes.
- Serve when warm.
8. Alkaline Breakfast Spinach and Chickpea mash
- A scoop of baby spinach
- ½ cup of boiled chickpeas
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- An onion (small)
- 3 tbsp of garlic
- Salt to taste
- Chop the onion into small pieces and fry it inside a pan. Cook until it turns brown along the edges
- Pour in garlic and cook for 1 minute
- Add the spinach and continue cooking for 1 minutes. (Don’t overcook the spinach)
- Pour in the boiled chickpeas and cook for 6 minutes
- Serve and enjoy. Avocado and any other alkaline fruit will be a great accompaniment.
9. Oats Breakfast
Oats are perfect for an energy-filled early morning meal.
- 1 cup oats
- ½ cup of coconut or almond milk
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- ½ tbsp Pumpkin seed butter
- Mix the oats, milk, cinnamon, and butter in a glass jar and refrigerate overnight.
- Come morning, serve in a bowl and enjoy. You can also squeeze a lemon over this breakfast bowl to make it more delicious.
10. Alkaline Breakfast Quinoa Porridge
Quinoa’s a rich source of protein, antioxidants, and minerals. It is always a healthy, yummy, filling start to the day.
- A cup of dry quinoa
- 2 cups of water
- ½ tbsp cinnamon
- Ground ginger, to taste
- Coconut milk
- Grated lemon skin (from ½ a lemon)
- Top with blueberries and strawberries or assorted alkaline nuts & seeds to your liking (pine nuts, chestnuts, cardamom seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, amaranth seeds, sunflower seeds, e.t.c.). A handful should be enough.
- Rinse the quinoa, boil in 2 cups of slightly salted water, and fluff gently with a fork when ready.
- Grind the cinnamon & ginger with a pestle and mortar and stir in the coconut milk. Add this mixture into the cooked quinoa and mix thoroughly. You can add in more coconut milk, depending on how creamy or thick you want the porridge to be.
- Serve in a big bowl and sprinkle some grated lemon skin on top.
- Finally, throw in the assortment of seeds and nuts Enjoy!
Thoughts On Missing Breakfast
By missing your breakfast, you are getting both your brain and body off to a terrible start. After a 6hrs or more bed rest, your body is in dire need of nutrients as the metabolism has almost slowed down to a halt.
Most people tend to skip breakfast to limit the chances of consuming acidic foods. Also, some of those on an alkaline diet for weight loss will skip breakfast to reduce calorie intake. Well, truth be told, missing breakfast is a terrible idea as it often triggers binging.
An alkaline breakfast is a sure-fire way of getting your metabolism off to a perfect start. This will keep your food cravings in check as you bask in all the benefits provided by alkaline foods.
Tracking Your Alkaline Diet Progress
Eating a consistent alkaline diet is the surest way of maintaining a healthy alkaline state. Keeping your body alkaline and ph-balanced, helps your body function at its optimum level. It is important to make sure that you are consuming enough alkaline foods on a daily basis. How do you do that? Well, the easiest and most convenient way is by using saliva or urine ph test strips to monitor your body pH. One quick dip of the strip and in 15 seconds you get your results. This is the easiest way to track your progress daily.
To transition into healthy alkaline breakfast choices easily and more effectively:
- Always plan your breakfast the evening before.
- Make sure you have all your ingredients on hand
- Take a glass of lemon water or lemon juice with breakfast. Its a refreshing and alkalizing start to your day. Using lemon juice to hydrate all day long will also be very helpful.
Elena Daisley is a licensed Clinical Laboratory Scientist (MT, ASCP certified) with over 10 years of experience in the medical field. She holds bachelor’s degrees in both Biology and Laboratory Science from the University of Central Florida. Elena enjoys helping others on their journey to healthier living.