Some delicious Alkaline snacks are sure to save your life on those late nights when you get the munchies after a long day’s work. The hardest thing for people trying to uphold a healthy eating standard is snacking. Yep! During those times when you get really hungry and there is nothing healthy & tasty that you can grab, that’s when you slip up.
So be prepared! I’m sure you can resonate with this if you are on an alkaline diet and perhaps you also know that the usual go-to’s are highly acidic. Biscuits, dairy, chocolate bars, French fries…you get it.
So, what should you do if you are on an alkaline diet and you need a snack? It’s simple! You need to be well prepared with some wholesome alkaline snacks Dr. Sebi would smile upon. Below are 5 delicious alkaline food snack recipes that are sure to satisfy your cravings for sweet, savory, and salty foods.
Alkaline Snacks Recipes
After you are regularly eating alkaline, be sure to check your body’s alkalinity often to make sure you are on track. For your convenience, we have provided recipes that entirely utilize healthy alkaline ingredients. These will be a lifesaver when you are stuck in the office, on the go, or fresh from a workout.
1. Kale Chips
Kale chips are easy-to-make, crispy, and delicious. You need less than 30 minutes to prepare this healthy alkaline snack.
- 1 bundle of kale.
- Melted avocado, coconut, or olive oil.
- Seasoning of your liking. It could be a pinch of salt, pepper, a tablespoonful of curry powder, or cumin powder.
- A large mixing bowl.
- Pre-heat your oven to about 107 C (225 degrees F). If you want your chips to be even more crispy or for the preparation to take less time, you can use a convection oven.
- Clean and tear the kale to small pieces (exact size depends on your preference). Make sure you discard the stems.
- Add the kales into a mixing bowl, sprinkle in the oil & seasonings and mix thoroughly.
- Spread the kale pieces over two baking sheets. Make sure that they are not too close to each other for even baking.
- Finally, leave them in the oven for 15 minutes then toss the pieces lightly to further ensure even baking. To clarify, leave them to bake until desired crispiness is achieved.
Do not leave your kale pieces in the oven for long as they can get burned easily. They will be even crispier upon cooling and the leftovers can be kept up to 3 days.
2. Guacamole- Easiest in our Alkaline Recipes Snacks list!
The authentic guacamole recipe doesn’t include nonessential ingredients. You just need avocados and probably some tomatoes, onions, lime juice, and salt. Alkaline foods can sometimes be tricky to pick out. If you are ever in doubt about whether or not an ingredient in a recipe is alkaline, be sure to check it against the alkaline-acid food list.
- Ripe avocados
- A finely diced onion
- 2 diced tomatoes
- Optional ingredients: 1 bell pepper, 2 garlic cloves,
- Lime juice
- A pinch of salt
- large mixing bowl
- Peel the avocados and slice them.
- Place the pieces inside the mixing bowl and mash them as smooth as you would like.
- Add the other ingredients and mix thoroughly.
3. Cinnamon Carrot Sticks
Cinnamon makes carrot sticks taste even better. Only use fresh whole carrots or baby carrots as canned or frozen ones won’t be as delicious.
- One lb. of peeled carrots
- A tablespoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Butter
- A pinch of salt
- Double boiler
- Cut the carrots into thin vertical sticks.
- Steam the pieces for 5- minutes.
- Drain the water and empty the remaining ingredients into the boiler.
- lastly, cook over low heat until the butter has coated the carrot pieces (1-2 minutes).
4. Pickled Cucumbers
Got tired of the same old taste when it comes to “cukes”? This alkaline snack recipe will blow your mind!
- 1 cup Cucumbers, sliced
- 1/2 cup Spring Water
- 1 tbsp. Key Lime Juice*
- 1 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. Coriander
- 1 tbsp fresh Dill or 1 tsp. dried Dill
- 1/2 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper (optional)
- Crinkle Cutting Tool (optional) *Regular lime juice can be used, but key limes have a closer flavor to pickles.
- Chop ends off cucumber, then use crinkle tool to make slices.
- Crush the coriander, then add cucumber slices and ingredients to a jar and shake.
- Store in fridge for 6-8 hours, shaking ever 1-2 hours.
You can enjoy your crispy & crunchy “cukes” for about a week in the fridge.
5. Raw Cacao Energy Balls
The key ingredient when making Raw Cacao Energy Balls is raw cacao powder. You can make the energy balls even more delicious by adding an ingredient of your liking. However, make sure you do not wander off from alkaline friendly ingredients. So, what makes these energy balls so special? Iron-rich raw cacao has nearly double the antioxidants found in blueberries. Moreover, it gives the energy balls a chocolaty taste without dairy or sugar. Well, guess who will soon be visiting the bulk section to buy raw cacao powder by the truckload? That’s you after tasting these delicious energy balls!
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ cup of raw almonds
- 1/3 cup of raw cacao powder
- Place the raw almonds into a food processor or blender. Grind them finely.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and continue to blend. The goal is to achieve a dough texture that can be easily rolled into balls.
- Roll the dough into balls and sprinkle with a topping of your liking.
- Finally, enjoy right away or refrigerate them overnight so that they can set into sturdy balls.
And there you have it. 5 super easy energizing alkaline snack recipes to brighten up your day. They will help ensure you don’t compromise your goal of sticking to a healthy alkaline diet.
MORE ALKALINE SNACK IDEAS
Want more alkaline snack ideas? If you are looking for a go-to place to get quick, alkaline friendly snacks, Thrive Market has some really cool alkaline snack options. They have alkaline high protein snacks and even alkaline friendly cacao bars! Not all of their items are alkaline friendly though so make sure to check all ingredients in their snack items against our alkaline-acid food list. Another word of caution…eat in MODERATION (just because its a healthier option, doesn’t mean its a good idea to eat cacao bars every day). Finally, you can use PH test strips to track your body’s pH progress to see if your body is getting more alkaline as you eat the right foods. You only have to apply some saliva or urine on the strip and check the results against the chart. This way, you will always be sure about your body pH range.
Elena Daisley is a licensed Clinical Laboratory Scientist (MT, ASCP certified) with over 10 years of experience in the medical field. She holds bachelor’s degrees in both Biology and Laboratory Science from the University of Central Florida. Elena enjoys helping others on their journey to healthier living.